The list below originally appeared in the April 2012 Tacoma Weaver’s Guild Newsletter
- Intertwined: Requiem for the Trees, March 10 – May 6, 2012 at the WA State History Museum, 1911 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma. This show was created to honor and remember trees at Kopachuck State Park, Henderson Bay, which have to be removed because of a root disease.
- The Spring Fair & Shepherd’s Extravaganza is April 19-22 at the Puyallup Fair Grounds. Please note that if you have spinning & weaving equipment you’d like to sell it is possible to do so at the fair. Full details are available at: http://www.shepherds-extravaganza.com/.
- Fiber Festival/Spin In in Pasco Wa TRAC Center April 28-29. Spinners from N. Idaho, Spokane, NE Washington, and Tri-Cities are planning to attend. There will be classes, spinning contests, vendors, etc. Website: www.pnaafiberfestival.com.
- Aesthetics of Funk by fiber artist Xenobia Bailey at Northwest African American Museum, 2300 Massachusetts Street, Seattle. October 29, 2011 – May 6, 2012. “Explores the aesthetics of funk one stitch at a time through her visually stunning fiber works.” More details at www.naamnw.org.
- Woad Workshop with Denise Lambert May 12th and 13th at Magnuson Park, Seattle. Surface Design WA is offering a rare opportunity to learn the art of woad dyeing from dye master Denise Lambert of Bleu de Lectoure in France. Denise was instrumental in the revival of woad cultivation and use in France and has adapted this ancient medieval dyeing technique to modern times. Follow this link for more workshop info and sign-up details: http://surfacedesignwa.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/woad-workshop-with-denise-lambert-may-12th-and-13th/.
- A Presentation on Scandinavian Weaving, May 17 at 7pm, Poulsbo Sons of Norway Lodge, 18891 Front St. Poulsbo Given by Kay Larson, author of The Woven Coverlets of Norway. Suggested Donation $2. Please bring pieces of weaving for identification. More details are at: www.poulsbosonsofnorway.com.
- Knitted, Knotted, Twisted & Twined: The Jewelry of Mary Lee Hu February 7 – June 17, 2012 at the Bellevue Arts Museum. A show featuring more than 90 pieces of jewelry created over the span of more than 40 years. Described on the museum’s website as “Using wire the way hand weavers use thread, Hu has blazed a trail as both artist and innovator, exploring the nexus between metalsmithing and textile techniques.” For details go to: www.bellevuearts.org/exhibitions/current/mary_lee_hu/index.html
- The Northwest Regional Spinners Association 2012 Annual Conference will be held at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA, from Thursday May 31st-Sunday June 3rd. Conference brochure and registration info are at: www.nwregionalspinners.org/Pages/events.html#2012Conference.
- “Colors of the Oasis: Central Asian Ikats” is a textile display of some 65 garments at Seattle Asian Art Museum through Aug. 5, 2012. Web: www.seattleartmuseum.org/exhibit/exhibitDetail.asp?eventID=21216